The 2013 Youth Short Story Contest has been announced! If you have an original work of fiction that has not been previously published and you meet the following guidelines, it is eligible for entry.
- Original work of fiction by contest entrant
- Permission for publication by the Friends of the Bedford Library
- All genres eligible with the following provision; no explicit sex and/or violence
- Minimum entry age — 6 years old
- Staff members of the Bedford Public Library, officers of the Friends of the Bedford Library, Library Foundation and members of the Library Advisory Board may not submit entries
- Ages 6 – 10: 500—1,500 words
- Ages 11 – 13: 1,000 – 3,000 words
- Ages 14 – 16: 1,500 – 5,000 words
- 12-point font, double-spaced, 1-inch all-around margins, single-sided, and numbered pages
- Submissions must include a title page with the following information: name, mailing address,
- telephone number, and email address
- Submit story in person or by mail to the Bedford Public Library, 2424 Forrest Ridge Drive, Bedford, TX 76021 OR by email — email@example.com.
- Electronic submissions must be in .DOC format
- 1st Place–$50 and name on plaque
- 2nd Place–$25 and name on plaque
- 3rd Place–$10 and name on plaque
Failure to comply with the guidelines and/or submission qualifications will result in disqualification
Submission period is August 1 through September 1, 2013 (Entries by mail must be postmarked no later than this date for consideration)
Winners will be announced on Saturday, September 28, 2013 at the Evening with the Authors: A Writers Roundtable program at the Bedford Public Library.